ATA Carnet (Duty-free and tax-free temporary imports)
The ATA Carnet is an international customs document that permits duty-free and tax-free temporary import of goods for up to one year. The initials “ATA” are an acronym of the French and English words “Admission Temporaire/Temporary Admission.
ATA Carnets cover almost everything:
- Commercial Samples
- Professional equipment
- Goods for use at trade fairs, shows, exhibitions
ATA Carnets cover the usual and unusual: computers, repair tools, photographic and film equipment, musical instrument, industrial machinery, vehicles, jewellery, clothing, medical appliances, aircraft, race horses, art work, prehistoric relics, ballet costumes and rock group sound systems.
ATA Carnets do not cover perishables or consumable items or goods for processing or repair.
Speed through customs
- ATA Carnets reduce costs exporters by elimination value-added tax (VAT) and customs duties.
- Carnet holders are not required to post securities with customs.
- Carnets simplify customs boarder crossings and cut red tape by allowing importers and exporters to use a single document for the customs formalities.
With their ATA Carnet, salesmen, exhibitors and other business travelers may:
- Make advance customs arrangements at predetermined cost
- Visit several countries
- Use their ATA carnet for several trips during its one-year validity.
- Return to their home country without problems and delays.
Who else benefits?
- Trade show and fairs that will more easily attract foreign exhibitors
- Tourism and transport industries
- Entertainment industry and concert promoters
- Sports events like the Olympic Games and similar events
- Countries wishing to take full advantage of the global economy.
The Cost of an ATA Carnet
Fees vary by country and are determined by the value of the goods, the number of countries to be visited, the costs for security and insurance or other services.
ATA Carnet are issued and accepted in these countries and territories
Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium-Luxembourg, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Chinese Taipei, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hong Kong, China, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia , Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Macao, China, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, México, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Senegal, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States.
Contact ICC Sri Lanka to get your ATA Carnet
The ATA Carnet system is a perfect illustration of how close cooperation between business and customs can facilitate international trade. Each country in the ATA chain has a single guaranteeing organization approved by its national customs authorities and WCF. The guaranteeing body is entitled to issue ATA Carnets and to authorize local entities to deliver Carnets on its behalf.
International Chamber of Commerce Sri Lanka (ICCSL) has the only sole authority to issue ATA Carnets in Sri Lanka.
ATA CARNET –PASSPORT FOR GOODS!!